For Immediate Release Contact: Trevor McDonald, Superintendent
August 16, 2012 831.674.2840, ext. 2027
The Arts Come to Greenfield
Greenfield, CA – The Visual and Performing Arts and Agriculture program, playfully known as Arts and Ag, grew out of a commitment to honor both the cultural diversity and academic achievement goals of Cesar Chavez Elementary school. Inspired by the talents and commitment to excellence of the students and parents of Cesar Chavez, the program took flight in May 2012, with our first full length production of Disney’s, Mulan, Jr. The production realized the talents of over 100 students from all grade levels-K-5, who sang, danced, and acted to the amazement, joy, and excitement of children, parents, teachers, school board members, and administrators throughout the Greenfield Community.
At the beginning of this school year, Cesar Chavez will formally begin its Arts and Ag program with the first of three phases. The following Arts & Agriculture programs will kick start the phase I of our program.
- The Fall Musical Production:This production will be a full length musical and will be geared toward the K-2 grade levels. Students will learn the elementary vocabulary and basic skills required to perform in a theatrical production. Rehearsals will take place after school and on occasional Saturdays.
- Shakespeare on the Playground: Students in all grade levels-K-5, will perform Scenes and recite sonnets from the works of Shakespeare and other classic playwrights through a modern lens, incorporating dance, art and music.
- The Winter Program: This program will highlight classroom art projects across curricula, and the music, dance, and art programs that will be a part of our After School Arts program.
- Dia de Los Muertos Festival: This unique cultural festival that honors deceased family members can be traced back to the indigenous cultures of Mexico, and will feature traditional cultural art and music activities and include the family members and students within our school community.
- Flowers & Crops: Students will learn the importance of how nature and health are interdependent through our community gardening project. We hope to build partnerships with the greater agricultural community in our own backyard in the Salinas Valley.
- After School Arts Project: This program will include classes in art, music, dance, and drama taught by resident artists & teachers from both within our school community and greater Monterey County.
- Mariachi: This traditional Mexican folk form that incorporates singing and string instruments, will be one of the cornerstones of the After School Arts program.
- The Murals of Cesar Chavez Elementary School: Together with students, parents, and teachers, a muralist will co create, design several thematic murals around the school that will reflect out Arts & Ag cultural connections.
- The Spring Musical:Our “Jewel in The Crown” production will be geared toward our 3-5 grade levels and will be a full length “Broadway, Junior” production. The production will be supported by teachers, parents, and students all working in collaboration to bring the show to performance.
“This type of innovative thinking will allow our students to thrive in many ways,” said Superintendent Trevor McDonald.
# # #